Tuesday 18 May 2010

To out fox the Fox

We have been having lots of fun with the foxes but there is only so much cover and it has been hard to get really close without spooking them.


We have one spot that has excellent cover and the foxes can come really close but it has limited visibility. The only problem is often they are just out of shot and it is so tempting to move to try and get the shot but know that the slightest movement will spook them.


This spot is also only big enough for one so we have been setting up at opposite ends of the field. I would lay behind some tufts of grass and a small bank while my friend would use the good cover in the hedge.


The only problem with this is that when the foxes get too close to me and see me they usually leave quite quickly so I decided to try some thing that I had heard before when setting up in a hide.When setting up a hide some say it is a good idea to bring someone with you as a decoy and so two people walk to the hide and one person leaves.

The wildlife you are hoping to capture will think that the hide is empty as they see someone leave. So when I have been seen by the foxes, I get up and leave making sure they can clearly see me leave, but then double back around the outside of the field.

We have also use it when setting up so that one of us feins to leave but doubles back and shoots from the fence line. We have found it to work very well and now the foxes also are starting to realise that we are not a threat.

We recently had a tip that at a spot near to us there were some foxes that were feeding from peoples hands but last night when we checked it out there were a handful of motor-homes at the spot but no foxes. We headed back to our usual spot and got these few shots before the light had gone.




2 comments:

  1. Great series :)
    I love particularly the last four ones - they have a really nice light and great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pescalune. I have just bought some camo netting so hopefully they won't see me next time.

    ReplyDelete