Wednesday 24 February 2010

The Raven's of Tennyson Monument

I had a lovely walk with my family today over the Tennyson trail. At the Tennyson monument there are often a pair of Raven's.
The Raven is an amazing bird that has been seen on Mount Everest at over 6000m. This is the highest altitude a Passerine bird has been seen. We are very lucky to have a few pairs that can be found over some of the cliffs of the Isle of Wight.Still being without my 500mm lens I set myself a challenge to try and photograph the Raven with my 70-200mm. As much as it has been very frustrating to be without my big lens it has helped push my photography to another level.

I wanted to capture them in their surroundings, showing the cliffs and trail down to Freshwater Bay or towards the Needles.One observation I made was one of the Raven's would glide in a straight line flipping upside down for a second and back again. I watched the Raven do this 3 times, something I have never seen done before or know why.I also noticed one of the Raven's was missing a few feathers, and in flight you could see a big 'V' shaped gap in one of its' wings.It was a fun shoot and I am quite pleased with the results. As with all wildlife, nature rarely does exactly what you want it to do. I had about only had about 20 minutes with the Raven's before my girls wanted to go fly a kite, but I will go back soon.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment